Dealing with Difficult People
Posted by Lane Corley
“God, knock the teeth out of their mouths.” Psalm 58:6
My first time, to preach on what is called the Imprecatory Psalms this weekend at Bridge Church. Imprecatory Psalms are those that invoke judgment, calamity, or curses, upon one’s enemies or those perceived as the enemies of God. They offer us an opportunity to see how people after God’s own heart deal with difficult relationships.
How do we deal with Difficult Relationships? How did David handle difficult relationships?
1. Take your frustration to God. Psalm 58:6, Psalm 69:19-24, Psalm 109:1-9, Psalm 55:1-8, 12-14, 22. It’s OK to feel frustration. Take it to God. Don’t allow your feelings to be your refuge. Only God can be our refuge.
2. Trust God to do what is best. Psalm 11:4-7, Psalm 52:1-5, Psalm 144:5-8. Don’t take vengeance. David actually extended grace to his enemies. Why? He knew his need of grace as a fallible leader & father. Be quick to extend grace. You’ll need some one day yourself.
3. Allow difficult relationships to remind you of your need of God. Psalm 57:1-3, Psalm 62:5-8, Psalm 71:12-15. David allowed his enemies to drive him to deeper trust in & dependence upon God.
People & our feelings will let us down. God alone can be our refuge.
Join Bridge Church this Summer as we study through Psalms in a series called Swells. 10:30am at the Maritime Museum in Madisonville.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
About Lane CorleyI am - Follower of Jesus Christ - Husband to the beautiful and patient Heather Corley - Father of two rowdy young men: Jackson (18), Hudson (14). And one Princess: Katherine Jubilee or “Kate” (8) - Church Planter / Church Planting Strategist with the Louisiana Baptist Convention. - When I can I’m reading, raised bed gardening, deer hunting, on mission with my church. - Hoping to be helpful to others & fruitful for God.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.