“I was in prison and you came to me” ~Jesus #prisonministry #faithinaction
Finished up another round of our Recovery & Re-Entry Program at our local jail last night. Very proud of the 37 men who are graduating from the program called Project 180 and the guys who volunteer their time each week to facilitate and encourage. This has been an incredible experience for me personally and for our church as we’ve sought to be present in and bring light to some of our communities dark places. So many stories of transformation. So many stories still in need of intervention. From some recent Project 180 participants:
- “I’m 50 years old and I’ve never completed anything. This year I’ve completed two courses through Project 180 and Bridge Church.
- “I thank God for not only second chances, but many chances. And I would like to take this opportunity to get my life on track so that I can be a positive influence to my kids and grandkids. I look forward to hearing the words “Daddy” and “Grandpa.” And to being able to fulfill what those words really mean.”
- from a mother of an inmate, “I’ve had 3 out of 4 sons die before the age of 18 due to drugs, alcohol, and violence. Thanks for helping my 4th son rise above.”
- from a sister of an inmate, “Thank you for helping my brother feel like a human being again.”
- “my dad left when I was 6 weeks old. My mom died of a drug overdose when I was 13. She left me a note on her death bed that said, ‘Baby, please don’t get addicted to drugs.’ She didn’t know it, but I was already addicted to drugs.”
Contact me if you’d like to get involved. We have a worship gathering at our local jail every Sunday at 9AM. Celebrate Recovery is Monday & Thursday, 7pm-9pm. Fathering Course called Malachi Dads meets on Sunday’s at 7pm. There are other opportunities to teach and encourage. In 2012, we’re hoping to get an ongoing Financial Planning, Parenting, and Healthy Relationship courses going. As well as continue with quarterly Block parties for inmate families and weekly worship gatherings.
This Sunday we’ll be doing a special Father’s Day Block Party for Inmate families. Flyer is attached. Call me if you’d like to participate.
Posted on June 15, 2012, in Bridge Church, Faith In Action, Jail Ministry. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment