Discipling Tool: Platt’s 25 Training Objectives for Disciples
Conversation starters for one-one-one or group discussion. Going through these right now with my 9-year old son. Consider the possibilities…
Download Word Doc – 25_Training_Objectives_for_Disciples
Here are the first three:
25 TRAINING OBJECTIVES FOR NEW DISCIPLES
1. Assurance of Salvation
- Truth to Teach: When we place our faith in Christ for salvation, we trust that our salvation is guaranteed through Christ. As a result, we don’t ever have to worry about His presence leaving us, and we are certain that we will spend eternity in heaven when we die. Nothing in this world can take this assurance away from us.
- Scriptures: Ephesians 1:13-14; Romans 8:28-39; John 10:28-29
- Application: Remind them that they don’t have to ask God for salvation again and again because His salvation is assured for them once they place their faith in Him.
- Activities: Pray with them and thank God for the assurance that they will spend eternity with Him in heaven.
2. Having a Quiet Time
- Truth to Teach: It is important to set aside time each day to spend with God. We spend time with the people we love, and we enjoy simply being with them. This time alone with God in a quiet place for prayer and Bible study is valuable for us as we grow in our relationship with God.
- Scriptures: Psalm 5:3; Luke 10:38-42
- Application: Encourage them to make it a habit to set aside time each day, even if it is just a few moments, to spend in prayer and reading the Bible.
- Activities: Invite them to have a quiet time with you. Show them how you spend time with God during that time.
3. Victory Over Sin
- Truth to Teach: Before you became a Christian, you were a slave to sin, unable to honor God. But now you have been set free from sin and you have victory over sin’s power, including death.
- Scriptures: Romans 6:3-10; 8:1-15; 1 Corinthians 10:11-13; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
- Application: Remind them that when they are tempted to sin, they have victory over that sin because Christ is in them.
- Activities: Encourage them to list out different sins that they struggle with. Then pray through each of these areas to help them realize that Christ gives them victory over those sins.
Posted on June 12, 2012, in Discipleship. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Pingback: Conversational Discipleship Tools | Lane Corley