Faith in Action Sunday!
Every fifth Sunday Bridge Church, scatters instead of gathers, for what we call Faith in Action Sunday. This Sunday, May 29th will be our second FIA for 2011. Looking forward to worshipping through serving senior adults, elderly widows, single mothers, inmate families, families in ICU, public servants, multi-housing residents, families at local parks, and more this Sunday AM. As a Pastor, Faith in Action Sunday is a way to be intentional about disciple-making (Mark 3:14; James 1:21-23) and transforming the community (Matthew 5:13-16; John 1:14-16). Here’s a few other reasons why:
- Because following Jesus includes putting our faith in action (Luke 6:46-49)
- Because Christianity is about more than just attending worship services
- Because Jesus said “Go…” (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Because if we love God, we will love people “in actions and in truth” (1 John 3:18, 4:7-8)
- Because if we love God, we do what He says. (John 14:21, 23; 1 John 2:3-6)
- Because success is community transformation, not just a big organization.
- Because proclaiming and demonstrating God’s love go hand-in-hand. (Luke 9:2)
- Because there are needs in our community that are going unmet.
- Because God cares for the whole person. (James 2:15-18)
- Because God desires individuals to live in healthy communities and just societies. (Jeremiah 29:7)
- Because everyone can serve.
- Because people follow examples better than they follow instructions.
- Because God has a special heart for those who are poor and vulnerable. (Jeremiah 22:16)
- Because God’s people are to be an instrument of blessing to the world. (Genesis 12:2)
- Because disciples are shaped through serving, not just sitting.
- Because the church’s ministry should be incarnational. (John 1:14; 20:21)
- Because God empowers us to participate in ministry. (Ephesians 2:10)
- Because God created us for good works. (Ephesians 2:10)
- Because it’s joining God in what He’s doing in the world.
- Because it’s fun.
While even a Faith In Action Sunday can become a meaningless ritual or an isolated event, our desire is that giving away will become a part of the flow of peoples lives as it’s part of the flow of Bridge Church.
Here’s a sample list of projects for this Sunday’s FIA:
- Handicap Bars in bathrooms of a residence for an elderly stroke victim.
- Cool Sealing a roof for the residence of two elderly stroke victims.
- Trimming Trees and cleaning up around an area Mobile Home Park.
- Visiting, praying with, & delivering gift cards to families in ICU waiting rooms.
- Delivering kids movies that we’ve collected for area Pediatric Units.
- Clean small yard and trim bushes for disabled, single mom in our city.
- Projects for Families w/Small Children – Deliver Baked Goods to Fire Depts and Police Depts and pass out snacks at area parks.
- Projects for those who want to/need to stay off their feet – Stuff baby bottles for Crisis Pregnancy Center fund raiser, Write notes of encouragement to community leaders.
- FAMILY DAY Block Party @ our local jail. This will be a time to connect with families of inmates and recognize the men who have completed our 26-week Addiction Recovery Program called Project 180.
Let me know if you know of other potential projects or ideas for making a difference in our community.
For other Faith In Action Ideas and resources check out http://putyourfaithinaction.org/.