Marks of a True and Healthy Church
I had the privilege of conferencing with area pastors here on the North Shore today and we had a productive discussion on what is a true and healthy church. Discussion was led by Pastor Louis Husser of Crossgate Church in Robert, LA. Here’s the list:
What determines a True Church?
- What do they believe about Jesus Christ? Not if they believe, but what they believe. Jesus plus nothing, minus nothing is the right formula for salvation and for the teaching of a true New Testament Church.
What determines a Healthy Church?
- Pastor led
- Deacon served
- Congregational ruled – it was a Baptist group
- Ministry driven
- Worship friendly
- Prayer covered
- Evangelistic nature
- Biblically grounded
- Gift driven / Multi-task ministries around the purposes of the church
- Revival – Transformation and brokenness evident
Two questions for our churches to consider:
- Are lives being changed?
- Are we hauling water to the desert or the ocean?
That final question made the discussion worth our time. I believe it’s the question of the hour for today’s church. Are we taking our message to those who need it. They don’t need more water in the ocean. We need to reach those in the desert of sin/darkness/hopelessness.
Any additions or subtractions to this list?