Good Words on Discerning Calling
Reading John Maxwell’s 21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leader’s Day. It’s a 21-week daily devotional of how Bible characters demonstrated the 21 Laws of Leadership. Week 4 is about Nehemiah and the Law of Navigation (Anyone can steer the ship, but it takes a leader to chart the course). In talking about Nehemiah’s burden/vision/calling to rebuild the wall around the city of Jerusalem, Maxwell gives some good questions for discerning a personal calling:
– Does a person or a project constantly come to your mind as a concern?
– Do you seem unable to escape the needs of this concern?
– Are you constantly trying to challenge others to be concerned for this person or project?
– Do you migrate to books, sermons, or people that focus on your concern?
– Do you repeatedly give time and resources to meet this particular need?
– Does your concern move you to the point of tears?
– Do you have gifts and abilities to meet the needs associated with this concern?
– Does your concern increase or decrease with time?