Lake Charles is projected to be one of the fastest growing communities in Louisiana for years to come. Oil & gas & chemical manufacturing are booming & have only slowed down slightly with drops in oil prices. Carey Baptist Association & Director of Missions Bruce Baker serve this area, representing Calcasieu, Cameron, & Jefferson Davis Parishes. Planters & partners are needed to reach a growing population & a key area for our state for years to come. Check out some data on this area:
- Population of Carey Association: 237,044 (up 2.5% since 2010).
- Worship Attendance in SBC churches: 8,433 (down 5.3% since 2010) Only 3.6% of the population worshipped in a SBC church on any given weekend in 2015.
- Bible Study Attendance: 5,034 (down 20% since 2010). Only 2.1% of the population attended Bible Study in an SBC church on any given weekend in 2015.
- 58 SBC churches for a church to population ration of 1 to 4,087 residents. Our state average & our goal for each association is 1 to 2,850. NAMB suggests 1 to 2,000 is a good mark. 25 new churches would be needed to get to 1 to 2,850 in the Lake Charles area.
- Evangelical Population: 68,425 or 29% of the population.
- Those with No Religious Affiliation or None’s: 64,563 or 27% of the population.
- Roman Catholic Population: 83,950 or 35% of the population.
- 7,431 students attend McNeese St. University annually.
- Projected Job Growth is 2.6% annually. And projected population growth of at least 22,000 between now & 2019.
- NOTE: In most of our nine metro areas, population is up & worship attendance is down. At best, it seems our churches are not growing as fast as the population. At worst, we’re going the opposite direction.
Pray for our Current Planters in the Lake Charles area:
- David Garza, Iglesia Bautista Trinidad de Lake Charles
- Felix Harris, Seeds of Faith Baptist Church, Lake Charles
- Blake Forman, Sulphur Community Church
- Brian Manuel, Carlyss Community Church, Sulphur
- Jose Us, Iglesia Hispana de Sulphur
Message me if you’d like more info or if you’re interested in planting or serving in this area.
It was great to be a part of Family Serve weekend in Lake Charles. Looking forward to this annual event to be held around Louisiana that combines missions & family fun, allowing families to serve together on a mission trip in Louisiana. It was great to meet & worship with Jeff Slaughter, the genius behind Lifeway’s crazy VBS songs that I never seem to get out of my head at the end of the summer. LOL! And by the way, his creativity definitely has the character & incredible heart for God behind it. And I loved serving in Lake Charles. It’s one of the fastest growing places in the country right now. 17% economic growth last year. More to come. Church Planters & Partners needed. Our team worked with Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church, with Pastor Freddy Brown, which is in a neighborhood that was destroyed 10 years ago by Hurricane Rita. Incredible people! Great day of service!
Thanks to Jess Archer, Jeff Cook, Bruce Baker – DOM of the Carey Baptist Association, Chris Jeffus, & church planters Blake Forman – Sulphur Community Church, Brian Manuel – Carlyss Community Church, & Kedrick Holliday – Safehaven Bible Church – for their hard work in putting everything together.
Look forward to Family Serve 2016!