Holy Ghost, with light divine
Shine upon this heart of mine;
Chase the shades of night away,
Turn the darkness into day.
Let me see my Savior’s face,
Let me all His beauties trace;
Show those glorious truths to me
Which are only known to Thee.
Holy Ghost, with power divine
Cleanse this guilty heart of mine;
In Thy mercy pity me,
From sin’s bondage set me free.
Holy Ghost, with joy divine
Cheer this saddened heart of mine;
Yield a sacred, settled peace,
Let it grow and still increase.
Holy Spirit, all divine,
Dwell within this heart of mine;
Cast down every idol-throne,
Reign supreme, and reign alone.
See, to Thee I yield my heart,
Shed Thy life through every part;
A pure temple I would be,
Wholly dedicate to Thee.
Author: Andrew Reed, 1817
You say, “What can I do?” You can furnish one Christian life. You can furnish a life so faithful to every duty, so ready for every service, so determined not to commit every sin, that the great Christian Church shall be the stronger for your living in it, and the problem of the world be answered, and a certain great peace come into this poor, perplexed phase of our humanity as it sees that new revelation of what Christianity is.
Living the Christian life everyday means LISTENING TO GOD and DOING WHAT HE SAYS. God speaks to us through His word, prayer, circumstances, other people, the church. How do you respond?
I know what God says, BUT…
- “my situation is different.”
- “that will never happen to me.”
- “everyone else does it.”
- “that was a long time ago.”
- “they deserve it.”
- “god understands my needs.”
- “who really does that anyway?”
- “that’s just not possible for me.”
- “I’ll get around to that one day.”
When you disobey God it means there is a gap between where you are and where you know God wants you to be. “I know what God says, BUT…” or “I know what I should be doing, BUT…” reveals that gap for all that it is. When you excuse your disobedience, you are saying more about what you believe about God than anything else. What you should just go ahead and say is, “I know what God says, BUT…”
- “He really doesn’t matter that much to me.”
- “I know better than He does about this issue/situation. I’m so much wiser about these kind of things.”
- “God has changed since the Bible was written and all that stuff doesn’t really matter anymore.”
- “I’d rather do what my friends say than God. They are so much smarter than him.”
- “I don’t really think He can provide for this need. I’ll just do it myself.”
- “I don’t really believe in God at all. Since he’s not real, I can do whatever I want.”
If you can easily excuse a pattern of disobedience, blowing off the word and will of God, the book of 1 John says you are a liar, deceived, and in darkness.
The true Christian responds to God’s word with obedience. He’s revealed Himself in Christ who is willing to transform our lives. The transformed one responds to God with obedience. You can mind the gaps by repenting and being obedient to what God is calling you to do.
What gaps can you close right now?
- Lord, I exalt You as Lord and Master and King of my life.
- Lord, I place my life at your complete 100% disposal, today and forever.
- Lord, I humble myself under Your might hand (1 Peter 5:7).
- Lord, empty me of myself and fill me with Your Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).
- Lord Jesus, I desire to come after you today, denying myself, taking up my cross and following You (Luke 9:23).
- Lord, I crucify my flesh with its passions and desires (Galatians 5:24).
- Lord, I reckon myself dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:11).
- Lord, I present my body as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) and as an instrument of Your righteousness (Romans 6:13).
- Create in me a pure heart, O God (Psalm 51:10), that I may see You (Matthew 5:8).
- In repentance, I ask for You to cleanse me of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
- I cry out for Your wisdom, knowing that my own is insufficient for this day (Proverbs 3:5-7).
- Lord, have your way with me.
- Lord, open my eyes to see where you’re working.
- Lord, give me the courage today & forever to walk through the doors you open.
- Lord, help me see as you see, hear as you hear, and speak as you speak today & forever.
- Lord, rule and reign in and through my life today, as you rule and reign over all creation.
- Lord, take this life for Your good and glory today and forever.
- Lord, I can do nothing apart from you (John 15:5).
- Lord, teach me, use me, change me today and forever.
- Lord, I am Your willing bond-slave (Luke 1:37).
- Lord, give me thick skin and a tender heart.
- Holy Spirit, be my teacher and guide today and forever.