Category Archives: Money
“You don’t have to be rich to tithe, but you do have to be organized.”
I’m convinced many people are just not organized enough to make a difference with their money and resources. Obedience to God seldom happens by accident. It requires conviction, courage, and a decision to do what’s right, before the opportunity comes. What decisions do Christians need to make in regard to money?
- Give it all to God. Understand that it’s all His anyway. He’s made you a steward or manager of it, for now. Hopefully, you are not Lord over your life. If you’ve allowed Christ to take the reigns in your life, has that extended to your checking account?
- Know what you have. Do you have a budget and a tool that helps you track income and outflow? Watching the balance and putting the breaks on when you’re close to broke, is not a plan. If you’re doing that, you’re most likely broke and don’t know it yet.
- Plan for obedient generosity. God calls us to sacrificial, regular, cheerful giving (Malachi 3:10; Luke 6:38; 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 9:7). Pick a % of your income that is sacrificial, give it regularly (weekly, bi-monthly, monthly), and do it with a smile. God’s promised blessings WILL be know to you soon.
Here are a few tools that help us plan for generosity and obedience:
- YNAB – YouNeedaBudget.com. Great budgeting a tracking tool for income and expenses. Small annual fee. Everydollar.com, by Dave Ramsey, looks good as well. We were already sold on YNAB before that came out.
- Dave Ramsey Resources. Dave Ramsey’s books, web resources, and daily podcasts, helps me keep my mind renewed in regards to money and its pitfalls. Find at daveramsey.com.
- A few helpful blogs that I follow
- PTMoney.com – Phil Taylor is a Louisiana man. Now famous financial blogger and conference host.
- Mary Hunt’s blog, everydaycheapskate.com. Mary Hunt’s book on Debt Free Living was helpful to us in the early years of our marriage. Her blog is full of tips and tricks to save money on every day stuff of life.
What decisions, challenges, resources have you found helpful in regard to money and finances?