Finding Worship Leaders from the Harvest
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do you know anyone that can help us with worship?
- Do you know of a church that has any extra musicians?
- What are you doing for your worship?
Worship leaders and musicians are getting harder to find. At least the kind that just show up and play at church. There are still plenty of musicians out there to reach and develop. They’re not playing in anyone’s church right now. What if we went out and found them? Reached them! Trained them! There is a tremendous evangelism opportunity if we could see it!
Where kind I find potential worship leaders?
- Music Stores. Make up a simple card that says, “We’re looking for musicians” and post it at local music stores. Meet with whoever calls. Wade through the ones that see churches as easy money. Share the gospel with all of them. See what doors the Lord opens up. Get to know the employees of the music stores and let them know you’re looking. There is a network of musicians that they know.
- Cover Bands. Your community festivals and restaurants host cover bands. They love to talk between sets. Ask them, “Do you know anyone interested in playing / singing at church?” – “Oh yea, you need to talk to…”
- Your current network of relationships. You may already know some musicians or friends of musicians that have never revealed themselves. Ask around, “Do ya’ll know anyone who likes to play music or has played music in church?”
- Your church music friends. Ask other church Worship Leaders this question – “Do you have anyone that just isn’t fitting in at your church that might appreciate an opportunity to help a small church?” or “Do you have anyone that has dropped out of the music program that might appreciate a new opportunity?” Almost every time I’ve asked this, it’s a yes. Doesn’t always work out, but you never know.
The resources for the future of the church is found in the harvest. Getting out there and networking and evangelizing should be the first pipeline for future leaders in every area.
Where else have you discovered musicians?