There it is! The Great Commission!
A few years ago, Barna and the Seed Company released a study that found that 51% of professed Christians did not know about the Great Commission. Only 17% recognized it and could espouse its meaning for the life of the believer. File this under “Issues of our Decline.” If a declining number of a declining number (professed Christians and church attenders) even know one of the primary purpose statements for every believer and every church from the author and founder of our faith, could this be a key indicator of sure decline.
In the Great Commission Jesus lays out the plan for world evangelization.
“Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded” Matthew 28:19-20.
- Go – as you spread out across the world
- Make Disciples – tell and recruit others to follow Jesus
- of all nations – don’t discriminate. The message about Jesus was and is for all races and people groups
- Baptizing them – lead them to commit their lives to Jesus
- Teaching them to observe everything I have commanded – teach them to observe and live by the words of Jesus
The Great Commission gave the early church their marching orders, and its likely that if you are a born again Christian today, it’s only because someone took seriously and observed the Great Commission.
As we establish churches that are more organized, more theologically astute, better with technology, multi-whatever, kid friendly, etc., etc.; let’s not forget the command that launched the movement – The Great Commission. We can’t assume they know. We must return again and again to the basics of our mission espoused by Jesus in the Great Commission.
- Am I living in obedience to the Great Commission by making disciples where I live and work?
- Am I impressing the Great Commission on those I influence and lead?
- How is my church passing on the Great Commission to those in our congregation?
- Does your church have a plan to make disciples? Is it working? (Robby Gallaty)
- How can we make the Great Commission known in our churches and groups?