If Not Today, When?
Posted by Lane Corley
Highlights from our January Message Series at Bridge Church
In January, our church wrapped up a long study of the book of James. We took on four key topics in James that we often need to return to at the beginning of a new year in a series called If Not Today, When. The four topics were:
- Evangelism and Outreach
Here are a few quotes or highlights from the series:
- Others should be one of the primary topics in our prayers. This is called intercession. Praying for other people. Praying for opportunities to serve and share with others.
- There is no magic in prayer. It’s a relationship.
- “If God be your partner, make your plans large.” – D.L. Moody
- You’ll never hear an on mission Christian say – “I would love to have helped but no one asked me.” They don’t wait to be asked.
- Why do we prioritize our physical needs? Because we FEEL them. Having compassion and mercy for others means we FEEL the needs of others along with our own.
- Mercy means even when I know something about them or have something I can use against them or don’t really like them or have a right to hold a grudge against them, I still am willing to love them and show them compassion and grace.
- To be a person of integrity means I am innocent in my relationships. I’m not using you, cheating you, manipulating you, or lying to you. I’m a person you can trust, because of my integrity, my commitment to purity before God.
- Wisdom listens with the intent to build up, to help, to learn. It’s solution oriented when it comes to decisions and suggestions.
- The Bible offers 500 verses on prayer, less than 500 verses on faith, but more than 2,350 verses on money and possessions. – Howard Dayton
- God is honored by funnels and dishonored by sponges. We’re to be conduits of His blessings, not cul de sacs.
- If you want financial freedom without unlimited resources, you’ve got to be able to say no to your whims and impulses and to live on what you have.
- The #1 reason for financial pressure is not that we don’t make enough but that we don’t spend it wisely. Our yearning capacity exceeds our earning capacity.
- Our clear mission from God throughout the Bible is to seek out the wanderer and do all we can to turn them or return them to the truth of the Gospel.
Connect with Bridge Church if you’re in West St. Tammany Parish on Sunday’s at 10am at the Maritime Museum in Madisonville.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)