Prayer is… 8 Definitions in the Lord’s Prayer
Posted by Lane Corley
This weekend at our church we looked at the Lord’s Prayer & surrounding scriptures (Matthew 6:6-18) through the lens of how important prayer is to the believer. Jesus gave us a great model, but He also defined prayer for us by His life & His teaching. So what is prayer?
1. Prayer is ASSUMED for the Christ Follower. (Matthew 6:6)
Jesus said “When you pray…” not if. (verse 6). Is prayer a regular part of your life? Is it a when or if?
2. Prayer is RELATIONSHIP with God. (Matthew 6:5-8).
Prayer is how we relate to, learn from, seek help from our Father in Heaven. You can’t start the Christian life without praying (Romans 10:9, 13). You can’t maintain a healthy Christian life without praying. (John 15:5, 7). And Jesus says God doesn’t want repetition or ritual but relationship.
3. Prayer is WORSHIP of God. (Matthew 6:9)
“hallowed be thy name”. In prayer we acknowledge who God is. And by doing so, who we are not. God wants to know our cares & anxieties (1 Peter 5:7) & our requests (Phil 4:6), but the greatest thing we do when we pray is acknowledge that He is Lord & we are his servants. That’s worship.
4. Prayer is GROWTH in HUNGER for God. (Matthew 6:10)
When we pray, we should acknowledge & demonstrate our desire to see His will accomplished & His kingdom expanded. Are all your prayers about you and your desires or about aligning your life with God’s desires? (see James 4:3)
5. Prayer is FAITH in God TO PROVIDE. (Matthew 6:11)
Prayer is a great act of faith. It is an acknowledgement that God exists & that He is providing for our lives.
6. Prayer is HEALING & FORGIVENESS. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15).
In prayer & relationships with God is where we find healing & forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 says that when in prayer, we confess our sins to Him, He promises to cleanse us.
7. Prayer is DELIVERANCE from SIN. (Matthew 6:13)
Prayer & relationship with God will also help keep us from sin. When you’re aligned with God’s will, acknowledging God’s authority, depending upon God’s power, hungry for God, there’s not that much appetite for sin. Also, in our relationship with God, He promises insight & wisdom that may keep us from paths of sin.
8. Prayer is SURRENDER to GOD’S WILL. (Matthew 6:13)
In prayer, we acknowledge God’s authority & surrender our will to His.
Which one of these jumps out at you as an area of need in your life right now? How will you make prayer a regular part of your life this year?
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.