THIS IS CHURCH: Obedient Hearts Coming Together
Posted by Lane Corley
Highlights from Bridge Church’s study on the book of Acts
This Fall, our church has been tracking with the first Christians in the book of Acts. The book of Acts tells the story of how an average sized church of 120 changed the world through the power of God’s spirit and their obedience to Him. You can hear the series here or by subscribing to our podcast on Itunes. Here’s a few highlights from the past 8 weeks:
- A church will be Biblical, when the lives of the people in the church are Biblical & their lives line up with the practices & commands of Jesus Christ.
- THIS IS CHURCH: OBEDIENT HEARTS COMING TOGETHER BACKED BY THE POWER OF GOD.
- One of the greatest enemies of life on mission is HURRY. What possibilities might life hold if we slowed down rather than stepping on the gas? What dangers might depths of relationships born over long talks with friends save us from? What strength is missing in my life because of lack of time spent sitting quietly with God & His Word? What opportunities to witness to & serve others fly by me as I hurry to the next big thing? Ministry, growth & maturity, depth of relationships happen in the neutral ground & at the intersections of life. Not at 70 miles per hour.
- The question is not, are you being discipled? but by who or what? Are we being discipled by our screen time & social media, or by Christ & His people?
- The early church prayed 10 days & preached 5 minutes & 3,000 people came to know Christ. Today we do the opposite & get the opposite result.
- The confused, scared people in the upper room, became an unstoppable army of witnesses that spread across the world sharing the message of Christ.
- The Holy Spirit is not a tool for our satisfaction or to puff us up with how great we are or to make us feel better about ourselves. His purpose is to empower us for God’s mission.
- If you say, I’m not experiencing the Spirit’s power – What mission are you on? Have you stepped out of your comfort zone to tell others about Christ lately? Have you took a risky stand for Christ at work?
- We are saved to be sent. We’re washed to be witnesses.
- If I’m believing & looking to be obedient, walking with God. I’ll not lack for opportunity to be a witness.
- Christianity is not a lone ranger affair. To grow, to be obedient, to be on mission, you must be in relationship with others.
- The Holy Spirit will change your priority from personal comfort & safety to selflessness & sacrifice.
- Purpose leads to SELFLESSNESS! We begin to realize that my gifts, my resources, my time is NOT MINE! And it’s NOT ABOUT ME!
- when God gives you purpose, He also gives you the means to accomplish that purpose. GET THIS: It’s HIS WORK through You!
- God’s purpose & the needs of others trumps personal comfort & even safety for those who have aligned their lives with God’s purpose.
- Generosity is not something God wants FROM you, but something God wants FOR you. God doesn’t need your money, He wants your heart.
- It’s dangerous to focus on what we appear to be, instead of what we actually are.
- Preoccupation with appearances is a root that will lead to deception, depression, and possibly disaster. Our preoccupation should be on approval from God. On allowing His grace to shape in us a Godly character. On obeying Him carefully & one step at a time.
We’ll return to this series in 2017, and pick up with the life of Paul the Apostle. November will be Bridge On Mission month. We’ll look at our mission to the least, to the nations, to the next generation, and to our neighbors. In December, we’ll look fresh at the Christmas story in a series called Looking for ADVENTure. If you are in West St. Tammany and you don’t have a church you attend, gather and grow with Bridge Church, 10:30am at the Maritime Museum in Madisonville.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
About Lane CorleyI am - Follower of Jesus Christ - Husband to the beautiful and patient Heather Corley - Father of three. - Church Planter / Church Planting Strategist with the Louisiana Baptist Convention. - When I can, I’m reading, raised bed gardening, deer hunting, and on mission with my church. - Hoping to be helpful.
Posted on October 31, 2016, in Bridge Church, Message Notes and tagged Acts, Bridge Church Madisonville, This is Church. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Leave a Reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Pingback: October Blog Recap: MICROpolitan Church Planting, Church Planting and Pastor Appreciation Month, etc. | Lane Corley