Worth Reading: Who Moved My Pulpit? Leading Change in the Church
Loved Thom Rainer’s short but extremely helpful book on leading change in the local church called Who Moved My Pulpit? Rainer shares lots of personal & real life scenarios from churches experiencing & going through change. A must read if you are a leader of a church in need of change.
Rainer’s Formula or Process of Leading Change:
- Stop & Pray.
- Confront & Communicate a Sense of Urgency.
- Build an Eager Coalition.
- Become a Voice & Vision of Hope.
- Deal with People Issues.
- Move from Inward Focus to an Outward Focus.
- Pick Low Hanging Fruit.
- Implement & Consolidate Change.
Lot’s of great how to info for each point of the process.
A few of my favorite quotes:
- “I have never seen successful and sustaining change take place in a church without prayer. Never. Not once.”
- “Coasting is for leaders who have stopped leading. But true change leaders expend a tremendous amount of effort. They face challenges and conflicts regularly. They have discouraging setbacks.”
- “Effective change leadership in the church will not take place in human power; it can only come from God.”
- “Too many of our church members treat their congregations as a religious country club. They pay their dues and expect to be served. It’s a “me-first” attitude that is endemic in the unhealthy churches in America.”
- “If you are not being criticized, you are not leading.”
- “If you know you have to make a difficult decision with someone, don’t delay. The situation will only worsen.”
- “Great leaders are transparent leaders. Great change takes place when the leaders are transparent.”
- “If you want to be comfortable, don’t lead change in the church. If you don’t want to be criticized, don’t lead change in the church. If you never want to put your paycheck at risk, don’t lead change in the church.”
Must read it you are one of the vast majority of pastors & churches in need of change across America. Can be read in a day or two & immediately applied whatever your situation. Resource Kit & more available with the book HERE. Get it on Amazon HERE.