The Gospel is Worth Every Effort, For Every Person
Posted by Lane Corley
“We proclaim Him, warning and teaching EVERYONE with all wisdom, so that we may present EVERYONE mature in Christ. I labor for this, striving with His strength that works powerfully in me.”
The Gospel – the news of Jesus’ death, burial, & resurrection that cancels sin & death & brings new life – changes us, so that we can bring change to others. We’re saved – reconciled to God, transformed by His power (Colossians 1:21-22) – to serve by sharing the Gospel (Colossians 1:23). It’s not a habit for most because it takes effort & intentionality. Paul uses the words SUFFERING, STRUGGLE, STRIVING to describe Gospel Servanthood. What makes it worth the Effort?
- The Sacrifice & Love of Jesus. The cross tells us that the God of the Universe thought the salvation of others was extremely important to Him. We see that Jesus was willing to go to any length to have a relationship with you & others. He came “to seek & save the lost” & He gave it all, in love, to do it. What’s precious to Him should be precious to us.
- The Cost to Others. If people do not hear & respond to the Gospel, they remain ALIENATED, HOSTILE, SEPARATED FROM GOD (Colossians 1:21). They face all eternity separated from God. Does not making the effort to share the Gospel mean that we are OK with our friends remaining alienated from God & facing eternity unprepared? EVERY PERSON you know, EVERY PERSON you meet will die & face eternity. Hebrews 9:27. Are we concerned for them?
Make the Effort. What will I have to do?
- Die to Yourself. Drop excuses. Drop fear. Grow in your faith. Make spiritual things a priority over the things of this world.
- Learn the Gospel. You can’t share it, if you don’t know it. Get to know the Gospel & figure out how to share it with your network.
- Pray. Pray for opportunities & boldness to share. Pray for people that you know. Pray for your church’s ministry in the community & to the world.
Bridge Church is currently studying the book of Colossians in a message series called Focus. Get audio from the series HERE.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.