World Changers Covington is a Wrap
Saying Thanks, Media Compilation, Next Years Dates:
The first World Changers Session in St. Tammany Parish is done. Looking forward to seeing the Before & After Shots of the 20 or so projects completed this week in the Covington West 30’s. Including 10 roofs, 9 paint jobs, 10 porch/ramp projects, & 10 other home repairs. Saying thanks to everyone who made it possible is hard, but you only live once, so why not try:
- FBC Covington for initiating the relationships with World Changers, housing the 300+ vols, & feeding them breakfast & dinner each day this week. Associate Pastor Bill Boren was our Project Coordinator for the week & was in charge of the day to day movements of people which went extra smooth. Dozens of volunteers from FBC helped make the week a success, serving as Crew Chiefs, cooks, etc.
- Seth Green served as our Construction Coordinator for the week. And special thanks to Kent Construction’s Faith Division & Adam Martin for helping with material list, working with the Parish on projects, & donating laborers & supplies to help get projects completed by Friday.
- St. Tammany Parish Government for funding the building materials & working with home owners through application & permitting processes. John Tobin’s Social Services office worked very hard to make this week happen legally & financially.
- The City of Covington & Mayor Mike Cooper for working with the Parish through the zoning issues as well as making city workers available to assure everything ran smoothly all week.
- Lunches were provided each day by Mt. Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church, Bethel Reformed AME Church, Faith Bible Church, First Missionary Baptist Church, First Baptist Covington, Bridge Church, First Baptist Ponchatoula, Christwood Retirement Center, Habitat for Humanity, Aquistapaces Supermarket, & Chick Fil A – Hwy. 190.
- Special thanks to City Councilman John Calahan & former City Councilwoman Frances Dunn for their help raising support & funding for lunches, etc.
- Participant Churches: Burning Bush Baptist Church, Ringold, TX; Chinese Baptist Church, Houston; Dutchtown Baptist Church, Prairieville, LA; Eastpointe Fellowship, Orlando, FL; FBC Cleveland, MS; First Chinese Baptist Church, Duluth, GA; Lakeside Baptist Church, Dallas, TX; New Life Gospel Church, Lewisville, TX; Oak Crest Baptist Church, Midlothian, TX; Oak Ridge Baptist Church, Portland, TX; Pineview Baptist Church, Hattiesburg, MS; Sugar Land Baptist Church, Sugar Land, TX; Trinity Church, Edwards; Wylda Baptist Church, Boyce, LA.
- Florida Blvd. Baptist Church, Baton Rouge; Grace Memorial Baptist Church, Slidell; Baptist Association of SELA; & Northshore Baptist Association lent their Shower Trailers for the week. Flint Miller made sure all of those were on site.
- And the SE LA Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Feeding Crew prepared Jambalaya for over 500 at our Finale Block Party last night at Peter Atkins Park.
- St. Tammany Parish Government Press Release from July 2nd.
- Volunteers to Spruce Up Covington Neighborhood – Times-Picayune Pre-Week Article from July 3rd.
- A World of Good – Times-Picayune front page article from Friday, July 13th.
- Times-Picayune World Changers Photo Gallery from Friday, July 11th.
- Volunteers Help Revitalize West 30’s – Newsbanner front page from Friday, July 13th.
- Volunteerism Has No Boundaries – Newsbanner Opinion piece from Friday, July 13th.
- High School Students Seek to Help Needy – WDSU Channel 6 News Piece, Article & Heath Allen Video from July 13th.
Next years dates for World Changers St. Tammany is already set. June 22-29. Watch for info at world-changers.net.
The site I worked with most of the week was the Covington Council On Aging Senior Center. Yesterday one of the seniors told me, “This has restored my faith in today’s young people.” That’s what World Changers is all about. Young people learning skills, restoring homes, restoring faith, connecting with God’s mission. I was blessed to play a small part.
And here’s my gallery of pics from the week:
Posted on July 14, 2012, in Northshore Baptist Associations. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment