Core Practices of Sent Living
We are saved to be sent into the world (John 17:18; 20:21; Romans 10:14-15). Unlike my email “DRAFT” box which is full of messages that are SAVED BUT NOT SENT, God desires that we live out our faith. How do I live sent? The past two months Bridge Church has studied the Core Practices of Jesus’ life and those closest too him. We’ve asked the question, “What DID Jesus Do?” Here’s the Core Practices of Sent Living and some of the resources we’ve gathered as we’ve journeyed through this series:
1) LISTEN TO GOD. Do I have a regular time I spend with God? Jesus spent much time away from the crowds connecting with the Father. If He prioritized it, how much more should I? Check out the booklet How to Get a Grip on the Bible for tips on starting a daily time with God.
2) BE INTENTIONAL W/PEOPLE. Do you see people as distractions or as people that God loves? Do others know you care about them? Jesus was always close to people who needed him. The Message Paraphrase of John 1:14, says “the Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood.” Are you intentional in your service and sharing with those closest to you? Here’s a booklet with over 100 ideas for Incarnational Living.
3) PUT YOUR FAITH IN ACTION. How are you serving others with your life? Can people see God working in and through your life? Jesus responded to the needs of people with compassion & urgency. 40 times in the Gospel of Mark the word “IMMEDIATELY” is related to Jesus’ ministry. What do you do IMMEDIATELY? SHAPEforMinistry on learning your SHAPE for ministry and consider getting involved in a church in a way that God has SHAPEd you.
4) GIVE IT AWAY. Do you live with generosity from your checkbook to your words? Do you live with open hand or closed fist? Jesus held nothing back for the needs of people, even when it meant giving his very life (Philippians 2:5-9).
5) TELL THE STORY. Can you share your testimony? Can you share the Gospel with others? Jesus shared the message simply everywhere he went. Check out http://www.WhatIValueMost.com for a great resource on sharing your testimony with others.
6) GO VIRAL. Do you have a desire to see the message spread and how are you using your relational influence to do that? Jesus started a movement not an institution. How are you extending the SPREAD of the Gospel from where you are? Check out this article on Utilizing Social Networking for Ministry for some tips on using your web influence.
7) LIVE SENT. What is God doing in the world? One answer: SENDING. God saw our deepest needs and SENT Christ (1 John 4:9-10). And today, he sees the needs of your neighborhood, work place, community and He has SENT you. Are you practicing SENT living?
Check out all the messages from this series and their intro vids here.
Posted on February 27, 2012, in Bridge Church, Discipleship, Ministry. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Your last two posts have spoken to the very issue of what it means to be fully engaged in the unfinished task God has assigned us of getting the Gospel to all of creation. Until we arrive in heaven where our worship will be perfect, we must continue to be on mission with Christ (to praraphrase Piper). Keep challenging us!