“I was in prison and you came to me”
Finished up another round of Celebrate Recovery at our local jail last week. Very proud of the 16 men who are graduating from our Re-entry program called Project 180 and the guys who volunteer their time each week to facilitate and encourage. This has been an incredible experience for me personally and for our church as we’ve sought to be present in and bring light to some of our communities dark places. So many stories that are being transformed by God. So many stories still in need of intervention. From some of this year’s Project 180 participants:
- “I’m 50 years old and I’ve never completed anything. This year I’ve completed two courses through Project 180 and Bridge Church.
- “I thank God for not only second chances, but many chances. And I would like to take this opportunity to get my life on track so that I can be a positive influence to my kids and grandkids. I look forward to hearing the words “Daddy” and “Grandpa.” And to being able to fulfill what those words really mean.”
- from a mother of an inmate, “I’ve had 3 out of 4 sons die before the age of 18 due to drugs, alcohol, and violence. Thanks for helping my 4th son rise above.”
- from a sister of an inmate, “Thank you for helping my brother feel like a human being again.”
- “after your classes and getting to know ya’ll a little bit, I realize you truly love not only Christ Jesus, but even a man like me. You guys have helped me and other see that despite our current situation and circumstances we can learn a new way to live. Thank you for your honesty and for caring about us.”
Contact me if you’d like to get involved. We have a worship gathering at our local jail every Sunday at 9AM. Celebrate Recovery is Thursday, 7pm-9pm. There are other opportunities to teach and encourage. In 2012, we’d love to get an ongoing Financial Planning, Parenting, and Healthy Relationship courses going. As well as continue with quarterly Block parties and weekly worship gatherings.
Posted on December 18, 2011, in Bridge Church, Jail Ministry. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment