Pride is easy to recognize in others, but tough to recognize in ourselves. It’s a matter of what’s in your heart. That can be determined most often by what’s coming out your mouth (Luke 6:45). Even that is hard to diagnose by yourself sometimes. Ask a friend. As someone said, “Pride is the only disease in the world that makes everyone sick except the person who has it.”
How can I judge if pride is in my own heart? C.S Lewis said, “the more pride we have, the more other peoples pride irritates us.”
A few questions to help recognize pride:
1) What happens in you when someone does something good?
2) What happens in you when someone does something bad?
3) What happens in you when someone encourages you?
4) What happens in you when someone corrects you?
5) What happens when someone successful walks in?
6) What happens when someone unsuccessful walks in?
7) What happens in you when you do something good?
8) What happens in you when you do something bad?