“If we really wanted to be seeker-sensitive, we’d forget the coffee and put in a bacon bar” ~Checking in on the Church Curmudgeon
A curmudgeon is basically a grumpy old man. But the spirit of a curmudgeon can come out of any of us whatever our age or gender. The attitude is not very helpful in church and is actually spoken against in scripture (Philippians 2:14). The Church Curmudgeon is actually on Twitter and if you’re there you should follow him for a good laugh and for a good look at how generations are colliding in 21st century church life. Here’s a few of my favorite recent Tweets by the Curmudgeon. Have you heard or said any of these? See my first check-in here.
- Here’s a shout out to the worship leader: Turn down the stupid guitar and learn a HYMN!
- I note that the pastor planned his stewardship series -after- pastor’s appreciation month.
- I say we turn the clock back again this week. And every week ’til we hit, say, 1952.
- If we really wanted to be seeker-sensitive, we’d forget the coffee and put in a bacon bar.
- Liquor is an abomination. Homemade cold remedies, however, are Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.
- The coffee today was like the deacon’s board. Weak and bitter.
- So glad we’re not worldly in our church. In the world, the comedian comes out before the band.
- Seniors’ Online Safety Seminar today – Keeping Your Finances Secure. Hosted by Mbewe Ahore of Nigerian Central Bank.
- As I recall, the French were “seeker-friendly” in 1940.
- Your prayer labyrinth looks exactly like my circuit through the Costco food samples.
- When a great innovator dies, it leaves a hole in the cosmos that never quite heals. Still miss you, Col. Sanders.
- If I had known there was going to be an internet, I wouldn’t have bought all those encyclopedias back in ’52.
- I accidentally loaded my Monday pills in the Sunday box. No wonder the sermon didn’t make sense.
- Putting the bulletin announcement in 8-pt font -a sneaky way to keep the seniors out of the business meeting. We shall repay.
- I keep forgetting which kind of progress I’m supposed to impede on Wednesdays.
- There’s a new church in town called The Movement. Must mean something different to them than it does to me.
- “1st time visitors get a free cup of coffee. And a newspaper.” #TheMovementChurch
- “And a scented candle.” #TheMovementChurch
- “Please turn to hymn number two.” #TheMovementChurc
- “You may be seated.” #TheMovementChurch
- Would I attend #TheMovementChurch? Depends.
Posted on November 19, 2011, in Quotes. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment