Faith in Action Weekend: 20 Reasons Why We SHOULD engage our communities outside the church
Four times a year Bridge Church, scatters instead of gathers, for what we call Faith in Action Sunday. This Sunday, October 9th will be our final FIA for 2011. Looking forward to worshipping through serving senior adults, elderly widows, single moms, inmate families, public servants, multi-housing residents, families at local parks, and participate in a neighborhood revitalization campaign. As a Pastor, Faith in Action Sunday is a way to be intentional about disciple-making (Mark 3:14; James 1:21-23) and transforming the community (Matthew 5:13-16; John 1:14-16). But as I said in my last post, it’s uncomfortable, it’s not a good church growth gimmick, not everyone you serve will appreciate it. Here’s a few reasons why:
- Because following Jesus includes putting our faith in action (Luke 6:46-49)
- Because Christianity is about more than just attending worship services
- Because Jesus said “Go…” (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Because if we love God, we will love people “in actions and in truth” (1 John 3:18, 4:7-8)
- Because if we love God, we do what He says. (John 14:21, 23; 1 John 2:3-6)
- Because success is community transformation, not just a big organization.
- Because proclaiming and demonstrating God’s love go hand-in-hand. (Luke 9:2)
- Because there are needs in our community that are going unmet. We drive by them on our way to church each week. I don’t want to be a DRIVE-BY disciple.
- Because God cares for the whole person. (James 2:15-18)
- Because God desires individuals to live in healthy communities and just societies. (Jeremiah 29:7)
- Because everyone can serve. (1 Corithians 12:17; 1 Peter 4:10-11)
- Because people follow examples better than they follow instructions. Along the way discipleship is the need of the hour.
- Because God has a special heart for those who are poor and vulnerable. (Jeremiah 22:16)
- Because God’s people are to be an instrument of blessing to the world. (Genesis 12:2)
- Because disciples are shaped through serving, not just sitting. Jesus practiced the rhythm of SENDING regularly and usually after big group victories (Matthew 9:35-10:5).
- Because the church’s ministry should be incarnational. Jesus was always close to the needs of people. (John 1:14; 20:21)
- Because God empowers us to participate in ministry. (Ephesians 2:10)
- Because God created us for good works. (Ephesians 2:10)
- Because it’s joining God in what He’s doing in the world. (John 5:19)
- Because it’s fun.
While even a Faith In Action Sunday can become a meaningless ritual or an isolated event, our desire is that giving away will become a part of the flow of peoples lives as it’s part of the flow of Bridge Church.