From and To / Faith in Action Weekend, Oct 8-9
For God’s people RESTORATION means that God saves us FROM something, but also TO something. (check out a great site and tool for sharing God’s story at – http://viewthestory.com/). This past Sunday at Bridge Church we went through a list of all the things God saves us FROM and TO. It was a fun little exercise. Here’s a few of my favs:
- From Defilement to Purity.
- From Conflict to Peace.
- From Overcome to Overcoming.
- From Lost to Found.
- From Works to Grace.
- From Death to Life.
- From Now to Forever.
- From Distracted to Engaged.
- From Enslaved to Free.
- From Alone to Adopted.
- From Weak to Empowered.
- From Me to Others.
- From Selfishness to On Mission.
“From and to” are great Gospel words of transformation. I also like “that was then”, “who I was”, “before and after.” All these phrases that many of us use in our personal testimonies express that there is great power to change with Christ. And I believe God has sent us to bring people and places “from” where they are “to” where He wants them to be, so they can testify to the “that was then” “before and after” power of God and work of God’s people.
That’s why I love Faith in Action Weekend. Once per quarter our church SCATTERS into our community instead of GATHERING behind four walls for worship. Why?
- It’s a statement that worship transcends singing and listening – it’s head, heart, and hands. It’s living out our great salvation – by grace through faith for service (see Ephesians 2:8-9 AND 10).
- It’s sharing the Good News of Christ’s love that drove Him to die in our place and power that overcame death.
- It’s a discipling tool that helps continue my own transformation. Serving, sharing, giving always changes me.
- It’s a way to bring FROM and TO, that was then, before and after change to our community.
This Faith in Action Weekend we’ll be working with the West 30’s Revitalization Committee to bring visible transformation through
painting six homes in a needy part of the city of Covington. You can join us: Saturday, 8:30am at Peter Adkins Park. We’ll be partnering with Homeworks of America. And for Faith in Action Sunday, meet us at 9am at the West St. Tammany YMCA for breakfast and then scattering to paint in the West 30’s. We’ll also be doing a Family Day Block Party at our local jail during Sunday’s visitation hours, bringing some light to a dark season of some of our neighbors lives. Our ladies will be making Fall wreaths for resident doors at a local Nursing Home. There will also be some projects at a local mobile home park. Looking forward to some physical and spiritual from and to, before and after, that was then stories after Faith in Action Sunday.