“Could we change the world by starting 1,000 mega churches over the next 10 years?” #exponential Notes 2011
Question ask by Matt Carter during one of the Main Sessions led by he and Ed Stetzer at Exponential Conference in Orlando, April 26-29, 2011. Here’s a few notes:
- Could we change the world by starting 1,000 mega churches over the next 10 years? Answer: We actually just did that. Over the last 10 years 1200 mega churches were started and interestingly enough less people are attending church today than ever before. No 1,200 mega churches wouldn’t hurt and would be welcome, but we cannot be a one weapon army.
- There is a restlessness among laity today that’s not existed in a long time. People are asking, “why is what we see in the New Testament so different from today’s Christianity?”
- If we build more and reach more in one place, what changes in our cities? Sending people as missionaries into the cities will bring real transformation.
- Change the scorecard for the church to MISSION together. No better way to foster community than be on mission together. Aim at community get nothing. Aim at mission get community thrown in.
- Train church members to be missionaries, to feed themselves, and to reproduce.
- Raise the bar for engagement. The sky is the limit. People with the power of the resurrection inside of them are passing out bulletin in our churches. People are capable of so much more than we are asking and allowing. We must release them.