“Church is a way of being in the world, not some place I go on Sunday” #Exponential 2011 Notes
Spent a few days learning with 4,000 Church Planting Leaders at the Exponential Conf. A few notes from one of the Main Sessions with Michael Frost and Reggie McNeal:
- Missional means understanding we should go. Incarnational means loving those you are going to.
- Missional is like getting married. Being incarnational is like romance.
- Incarnational Practices:
- Listening to the people to whom we’ve been sent, as a posture. Asking as Jesus did, “What do you want from me?”
- Readiness to serve.
- Be loyal to your city or neighborhood. – No one is more transient than American ministers.
- Incarnational Actions: Eat in local cafes. Shop locally. Meet with local community leaders. Say yes to every invitation.
- Different domains in society: Political, Arts, Education, etc. The church decided to start another domain instead of releasing its people into the domains they are already in.The church is already deployed across all the domains of culture.
- Those who get incarnational ministry understand church as network not a thing, church as a verb, church is a way of being in the world, not some place I go on Sunday.
- Millions are looking for church, but many more millions cannot or will not accommodate their life rhythms to get involved in our domain of church. We must go to them.
- What gets celebrated, gets done. What you make a big deal about, gets done.
- Mission Shift: 1) Change the scorecard. 2) Change your language. Change church to a verb