On Mission Opps/Open Doors/Community Needs:
Ready to get on mission on the Northshore? Here some great opps I’ve come across of late.
- Boys & Girls Club of Covington – The new director is Margie Poncey-Duboxe. She’s doing a great job, but could use volunteers to help with after school activities and mentoring kids. 801 North Tyler Street, Covington, LA 70433-1471, (985) 875-1153. Our church will be there on Tuesday, March 15th, volunteering and connecting.
- St. Tammany Parish Jail Program Wing – Chaplain Michael Oats and Deputy Marte’ Davis have done a great job putting together the first ever program wing at our local jail, which is home to 1,100+ inmates. Male volunteers are needed to teach Bible Studies, Life Skills classes, Tutor for GED & literacy needs, and mentor and encourage inmates who will be neighbors again in the near future. Contact me if you’d like to help with Celebrate Recovery at the Jail. You can also contact Chaplain Oats at 985.276.1040. Why Jail ministry?
- YMCA Summer Camp – The West St. Tammany YMCA is looking to hire some folks to work with kids in their Summer Camp program. Great opp to make a difference in the lives of kids and make a little money too. Call Tanya 985.893.9622.
- Life Coaches, Inc. – Interested in mentoring at-risk kids. Shane O’hara is on the front end and can provide training and oportunities. Looking forward to partnering with him personally in the future.
- Oak Villa Mobile Home Park – Our church has a ministry at West St. Tammany’s largest Mobile Home Park. We’ll be kicking off a new 9-week Parenting Seminar this Sunday. Volunteers are needed to provide activities for kids and provide other empowerment opportunities for the residents.
- ASIST Suicide Prevention Training – St. Tammany Suicide rate is very high. Too high. 243 Suicides, 1375 attempts since 2002. Be part of the solution. Several training options are available through STOPS – St. Tammany Outreach for the Prevention of Suicide. I’m signed up to go through the training later this month.
- Pediatrics Unit at Lakeview Regional Hospital is asking for used kids DVD’s to go along with the new TV’s and DVD players in their rooms. 985.867.3800.
Know of other opportunities in our area?
Posted on March 9, 2011, in Ministry. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment