A few Interesting Stats on Church & Religion in the US
From the current issue of Outreach Magazine:
- More than 25 million people in the US have never heard the Gospel (Ralph Moore, How to Multiply Your Church)
- Only 34% of adults believe in absolute moral truth (Barna).
- Only 27% of adults are confident that Satan exists (Barna).
- For most churches the largest worship attendance occurs between the 15th and 20th years of their life cycle (Gary McIntosh, Taking Your Church to the Next Level).
- 2010 growth by denominations – 1) Mormon Church, 1.71% to 6 million, 2) Roman Catholic Church, 1.49% to 68.1 million, 3) Assemblies of God, 1.27% to 2.9 million. Every other mainline denom in the US decreased (National Council of Churches).
- Every year 2.7 million church members fall into inactivity (Schaeffer Institute).
- Residents of the south make up half of all the nations small group attendees (Barna).
- 28% of Americans believe religion is old-fashioned and out of date. Up from 7% in 1958 (Gallup).
- Christian Church attendance is 2 times higher in the South and Midwest than it is in the West and Northeast (David T. Olson, The American Church in Crisis).
Interestingly enough, these #’s reported in Outreach’s Annual 100 Largest and Fastest Growing Churches in America edition. Neil Cole notes in his book Church 3.0 that almost every statistical category for evangelical life and Biblical morality and spirituality is decreasing in America except one – the growth in the number of mega-churches. Correlations? or is it only that growth of our churches is not keeping up with the national birth rate? Whatever the case, we’ve got work to do.
Posted on September 28, 2010, in Ministry, News & Info. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.
Across the board approximately how many churches are in Louisiana that believe in Christ? Can you reference me to those stats in each parish particularly Livingston, St Helena and East Feliciana? I am researching many stats for a business i have started to help bring in funds for feeding programs in schools at risk in Louisiana. I would appreciate response. Thank you, Rebecca Lawrence
I can give you that info for St Tam & Tangi for sure. That’s the area I work. I have access to info for Southern Baptist churches in other areas. Would that be helpful? Also, send some info about your business. Would love to connect more churches with feeding programs.