I’m Part of a Church Plant – Where are we now?
Since last fall, our family has been a part of a core group/launch team for a new church in St. Tammany Parish. The question of viability is always on the mind of an entrepreneur. How do you think this is going? How’s it going so far? What are we supposed to be doing right now? are questions that can be hard to answer. One of the most helpful and practical books on Church Planting helps with this. Steve Sjogren’s Community of Kindness is the dream book for a church planter. It answers almost every question you could have in short bursts of experience laden advice. Most chapters are less than two pages, so it is great for those who may have a deficit of attention and focus, like most in the first year of a church plant.
One of the most helpful sections of the book is part four where Sjogren outlines the focus of the planter and team at each phase of the plant. Currently, myself and several plants in our region are in the 5-50 People phase, so I share I wanted to share it here in brief. Planter and plant team members take note.
5-5o People: Where are we now?
- Focus: Meet the people, Reproduce people
- Sr. Leader Role: Gatherer, Philosopher
- Burning questions: Where can I find people to talk to?
- Theme song: “Heigh ho, heigh ho, it’s off to work we go” and “It’s gonna take a lotta love”
- Greatest Assets: Infectious smiles, enthusiastic handshakes, a great love for people.
- Greatest Needs: Belief that you will succeed with faithfulness
- Growth Strategy: Gathering, Planting seeds of kindness and generosity around the city.
- What Steve wishes he would have done differently at this stage: Taken the difficult people less seriously and spent more time meeting a broad base f people in the community.