Current Church Planting Bibliography
More than occasionally I’m asked by people interested in Church planting, “Hey, what should I be reading?” Here’s my current top ten or so list of favorites in no particular order. All of these are in the category of “I wish I’d read that before I planted a church.”
- Gaining by Losing: Why the Future Belongs to Churches that Send by J.D. Greear. Incredible book on the importance of church planting for the life & health of a church. Lots of great quotes to inspire movement & a lot of great how to’s to help a local church execute church planting strategy.
- Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches Out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church by Peyton Jones. Great book about unleashing the forgotten serial church planter or little “a” apostle. Missing link in church multiplication strategy today.
- Church in the Making: What Makes or Breaks a New Church Before It Starts by Ben Arment. Honest book about the difficulty of planting a church. Discussion questions after each section would be great for Core Group Training.
- Deliberate Simplicity: How the Church Does More by Doing Less by Dave Browing. Great book to help with focus and vision. Here’s a brief review I wrote a few years back.
- Planting Missional Churches by Ed Stetzer. The textbook.
- Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission by Darrin Patrick. Born out of experience as a planter, pastor, assessor, trainer. Great book for those who think they might want to be a church planter.
- Viral Churches: Helping Church Planters Become Movement Makers by Ed Stetzer and Warren Bird. Great book for churches wanting to sponsor churches or plant multiple churches and campuses. Research based. Great reference guide to what’s up out there in Church Planting.
- The Multiplying Church by Bob Roberts. From an experienced sender. The chapter on Starting a Church Planting Training Center at Your Church would be worth reading for every sponsor church pastor. My thoughts here.
- Church 3.0: Upgrades for the Future of the Church by Neil Cole. Challenging questions and answers for the church going forward into the future. Neil Cole always makes me think.
- It’s Not Personal: Surviving and Thriving on the Journey of Church Planting by Brian & Amy Bloye. Reading right now. Incredibly honest look at the life of the church planter.
- Exponential: How You and Your Friends Can Start a Missional Movement by Dave & Jon Ferguson. Great text book for starting at every level. Includes great chapters on multisite and sending out church planters, which is a core competency of the Ferguson’s church.
- Barnabas Factors: Eight Essential Practices of Church Planting Team Members by J.D. Payne. Essential study &/or reading for every launch team, core group or whatever you call those going with you through the first 1-5 years of church planting.
What would be your recommendations?