Four Words that Test My Faith in Christ
Posted by Lane Corley
1. CHANGED: Has there been a change in my life? Simon became Peter. A fisherman & failed follower of Christ became leader of the Gospel movement b/c of his relationship with Christ.1 Peter 1:3. You’ll not come in contact with Jesus & not be changed in some way.
2. SUBMISSION: Can I say that selflessness & servanthood toward God & others is part of my identity? 1 Peter 2:13,18; Matthew 20:28. Peter was known in the Gospel for his assertiveness & brashness. But he learned that in Christ, SUBMISSION was the greater value.
3. SUFFERING: If following Christ cost me something, would I still do it? 1 Peter 4:1. Suffering & Christianity are inextricable linked. Why? Peter reminds us that we’re not of this world, so we can expect to rub this world the wrong way. And we’re going against the flow of our fleshly nature & cultural norms, so sparks will fly when our identity in Christ meets these two.
4. READINESS: Am I ready with everyday discipline in my Christian life (1 Peter 1:13)? Am I ready to share the Gospel with others (1 Peter 3:15)? Am I ready to face temptation & the tempter who desires my destruction (1 Peter 5:8)?
Peter was concerned about READINESS b/c of his own failures:
- In the Garden of Gethsamane he slept when Jesus as him to pray, so he tells us to “Stay awake” 1 Peter 5:8.
- When Jesus was arrested, he reacted by trying to commit murder, so he tells us to “Be sober” 1 Peter 1:13.
- He denied Christ three times even though he said he wouldn’t, so he tells us to “Be ready to give an answer” 1 Peter 3:15.
Great study & great book for our generation to study as we face more & more pressure because of our faith in Christ.
Find most of the messages at http://bridgenorthshore.podomatic.com/ or on our Itunes account.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
About Lane CorleyI am - Follower of Jesus Christ - Husband to the beautiful and patient Heather Corley - Father of two rowdy young men: Jackson (18), Hudson (14). And one Princess: Katherine Jubilee or “Kate” (8) - Church Planter / Church Planting Strategist with the Louisiana Baptist Convention. - When I can I’m reading, raised bed gardening, deer hunting, on mission with my church. - Hoping to be helpful to others & fruitful for God.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.